Tuesday, July 14, 2015

outdoor still life with hydrangeas and roses in oil

The first step here was to define main colors of shapes following the chosen composition and work loosely with broad brushes.
Now I start adding more colors to the main shapes of flowers and background notes. I also start working within each shape adding more colors. I keep shapes simple, keeping shades predominantly cool and sunlit planes predominantly warm.
The next stage shows a more elaborate work with colors within each shape, mostly with a brush and placing fruit in a certain order. I also try to keep colors coherent throughout the painting. If I introduce a new color I make sure I repeat it somewhere else in the painting.
In the final version you can see that I changed the position of the pears and their direction. I feel it is better when the pears look in the painting rather than out of it leading a view's eye in the painting. I darkened the shadows to deepen contrasts between light and shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment